I think it's fair to say that my new dog Honda has caused me a fair amount of grief, between her enthusiasm for 'going' and her unreliability of coming (seems her motto is, 'better to travel than to arrive'). Our daily walk - or rather, the anticipation thereof - normally has my stomach in knots, or rather, something more fluid.
However, things have taken a turn for the better, not because I have got the better of Honda's pulling (the latest technical device, a Halti harness, I find needs a special sort of lead which will no doubt take ages to come from Amazon, which, however reliable it has been in England, seems totally to lose its way in France).
What has cheered me up considérable has been the sheer beauty of the countryside through which I now walk. Instead of a flat field, and the threat of grumpy riders who seem to regard all dog owners as latter-day thugs and yobos, I have a beautiful countryside which looks all the more marvellous in this glorious weather.
It's a countryside of quiet roads, stone buildings, wooded hillsides, haystacks - bocage country, which is mainly distinguished by the fact that fields, which in England are enormous, with minimal boundaries, are here much smaller and with plenty of trees in between.
I should say that the reference in the title refers to the utter inability to capture this glorious landscape with an Apple iPhone 4 phone held in one hand, the other busy handling Honda!


No comments:
Post a Comment